A Creative Adventure

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Grass Fires


This was a very scary week. We were already in a drought condition when a dry front went through. Grass fires broke out all over the area. Since I live in an area surrounded by grass, it is one of my big fears. It started while I was at work which is located close to a main east to west artery in our little community. Fire truck after fire truck went by. When I got home, everyone was angry that I had left my cell phone off (due to telemarketers). In the mean time the sky had become a hazy brown like the dust storm days in Lubbock when I was a child. The grass fires were raging all around me. Before it was over, two small towns had burned to the ground and many thousands of acres had been scorched. Two people had died from the flames and many had been affected by the smoke. My daughter stayed home on Friday to do some mowing of tall grass as a precautionary measure. Today is Sunday and we have the welcome relief of a long slow rain. We really needed it.

No comments: